Grossology: The (Impolite) Science of the Human Body
Third Floor | Kirby Science Discovery Center
Now Open Through May 12
Sometimes it’s stinky, sometimes it’s crusty and sometimes it’s slimy. Explore why your body produces mushy, oozy, crusty, scaly and stinky gunk at our new, temporary exhibition: Grossology: The (Impolite) Science of the Human Body on the third floor of the Kirby Science Discovery Center.
Here are just a few activities in Grossology:
- Take a “Tour du Nose” to explore 10 nasal features, including how your snoot acts as an air filter, a smell sensor and a mucus producer.
- Play the pinball game “Gas Attack” by scoring off bumpers dressed up as food items that cause gas.
- Mimic the buildup of acid indigestion by causing the “Burp Machine” to release a giant belch.
- Explore the role of the kidney in a virtual reality experience in “Urine: The Game.”
- Take a ride on the GI slide, climb a large-scale replica of human skin and discover other mysterious ways your body’s biology does what it needs to do to keep you healthy.