March 5 - June 13, 2021
Visual Arts Center | Contemporary Gallery
By combining water based and non-traditional serigraphy, I create abstract expressionist monoprints. I use lighting and the aesthetics of digital media to create innovative sculptural pieces. The pieces hybridize the tactile nature of my tools: the mist-like removal of screen filler with a pressure washer, the playful vibrance of caran d’ache and the layered transparency of screen ink.
My inspiration is best summed up in a quote from Tom Waits, “We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.” Utilizing the concept of printmaking’s ability to create repetition of information, I subvert that to focus on issues of truth, the redaction of truth and how the viewer must work through the noise of media to arrive at meaning.
To learn more about Jonathan and his work, visit https://www.purdyart.net/bio
Several of the pieces displayed in this gallery are available for purchase. For more information, please contact the Curator at 605-731-2303 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Born in Waterloo, IA, he received his Bachelor’s degree from the University of Northern Iowa in 2016 and recently completed his Master’s degree from the University of South Dakota.
Previous and current exhibitions:
- The Art of the Greatly Depressed | John A Day Gallery | Vermillion, SD | December 2020
- Redacted | Washington Pavilion | Sioux Falls, SD | March 2021 | Solo Exhibition
- Illuminated Redactions | Ragged Edge | Cedar Falls, IA | June 2021 | Solo Exhibition
- ART | 110 Gallery | Vermillion, SD | 2020 | Local Exhibition
- Abstract My World | Tall Sequoia | Online | 2020 | International Exhibition
- Ordinary, No Ordinary | Tall Sequoia | Online | 2020 | International Exhibition
- Response | Kala | Berkeley, CA | 2020 | International Exhibition
- And the Band Played On | Toto In View Gallery | Online | International Exhibition | 2020
- Small Pieces of Mind | Purdy Art | Online | International Exhibition | 2020
- Canis Latrans | Washington Pavilion | Sioux Falls, SD | 2020 | Local Exhibition