South Dakota Symphony: Mahler 8 "SYMPHONY OF A THOUSAND"
April 27, 2019 | 7:30 p.m.
April 28, 2019 | 2:30 p.m.
Mary W. Sommervold Hall
In 2019, the SDSO will complete our thirteen-season cycle of Mahler's symphonies by bringing this monumental work to life. Premiering in 1910, Gustav Mahler's Eighth Symphony was a staggering triumph. Indeed, there were over 1,000 musicians participating in the premiere of this monumental work. To this day, this work is the largest in the standard repertoire in terms of forces required: an orchestra considered large even by Mahler's standards, eight vocal soloists, and as many choristers that can be fit onto the stage of the Mary W. Sommervold Hall.
Mahler Symphony No. 8 in Eb Major
"Symphony of a Thousand"
- Marcy Stonikas | Magna Peccatrix
- Stacey Stofferahn | Una Poenitentium
- Raehann Bryce-Davis | Mulier Samaritana
- Lauren Decker | Maria Aegyptiaca
- Hannah Lu | Mater Gloriosa
- Ben Gully | Doctor Marianus
- Brandon Hendrickson | Pater Ecstaticus
- TBD | Pater Profundus
- South Dakota Symphony Chorus
- Black Hills State University Chorus
- South Dakota State University Chorus
Programs, dates, times and prices subject to change.