The Visual Arts Center includes seven galleries, painting and clay studios, a hands-on children’s studio and the Paladino Hohm Sculpture Garden. Founded in 1961, the Visual Arts Center was located in the historic Carnegie Library building in downtown Sioux Falls until it was transformed into part of the new Washington Pavilion in 1999. The Visual Arts Center’s permanent collection features over 1,600 works, including over 300 by noted South Dakota artists such as Oscar Howe, Lova Jones, and Charles Greener. The Collections also include 123 works on paper by artist Adolf Dehn, a growing collection of studio pottery (including works by Maria Martinez and Betty Woodman), and a steel sculpture by Richard Hunt (on display in the Paladino-Hohm Sculpture Garden on the building’s North side).
Within the Visual Arts Center is the beautiful Everist Gallery, the former Washington High School library. The windows are the same design as the 1906 originals. The Library’s mezzanine (study balcony) was removed to open space for large exhibits.