The Washington Pavilion is the perfect destination for your next field trip. Our trained staff can help you select from our numerous engaging and inspiring exhibits, performances, art and science programs and large format films in order to supplement your curriculum and fulfill content standards. Teachers and classes are invited to create their own experience from the many educational opportunities offered at the Washington Pavilion, including:
- Free Interactive Museum Tours to explore our beautiful, ever-changing art exhibits in the Visual Arts Center
- Hands-on, educational exhibitions in the Kirby Science Discovery Center, including Space: An Out-of-this-World Experience, presented in English and Spanish text
- An engaging new science demonstration for school groups visiting the Kirby Science Discovery Center
- New films in the Wells Fargo CineDome that will excite students of all ages
- Art Smart Lab
- 45 minutes - 1 hour depending on age group; Pre-k-high scohol
- Engaging, artistic fun! Students will explore their creativity, learn art techniques and make an original art piece to take home in this hands-on, instructor-led experience with museum staff.
- Complexity of pieces will be catered to the age and skill level of each group. Available for classroom size groups.
- Discovery Lab
- 45 minutes - 1 hour depending on age group
- Students will practice inquiry and problem-solving skills in these hands-on science experiences led by museum staff. Available for classroom size groups.
- Up, Down, All Around
- Our Amazing Earth
- STEM Builders
- All About Me
- Catch a Wave
Access lesson plan resources to connect the Washington Pavilion to your classroom. Complete activities prior to your field trip, bring some of the materials with you for enhanced curriculum connections while at the museum or use these lessons as a follow-up once you have returned to your school.
The Washington Pavilion invites your school to be a part of the Off the Fridge program. Off the Fridge provides an opportunity for your students to exhibit their one-of-a-kind masterpieces in the 2nd floor lobby of the Washington Pavilion for approximately one month.
To learn more about our services or to make your group reservation, contact Field Trips / Group Visits, fill out a Group Request Form (PDF), or call us at 605-367-7397 ext. 2322 or toll free 1-877-927-4728 ext. 2322.
To help schools and organizations that serve low income children visit the Kirby Science Discovery Center, the Children's Visit Fund of the Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation was established by the Kirby Family, Dr. John Harris and many other donors. To qualify, schools or youth-serving organizations must have at least 20% of their children eligible for free or reduced-price lunches through the federal school lunch program. Funds are limited and will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis
Bus Transportation Support
Available to groups coming for the Museum Experience with 40% or more of their students on free or reduced lunch. Support is available for up to $100 per bus reimbursement. Transportation support is available for trips scheduled for the months of September-March. Transportation funds are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Washington Pavilion Teacher Circle
The Washington Pavilion Teacher Circle provides a unique professional development opportunity for regional educators in the area of STEAM integration. In addition to presentations and interactive workshops led by experts in the field, teacher participants will be given time to collaborate with other passionate educators from the region to create innovative learning experiences for students.
Funding Provided by:
Other Student Opportunities
Get your students involved in our annual Design Challenge or Science Fair Showcase! Both are free of charge, and it is a great opportunity to work on teamwork, critical thinking, the engineering design process and scientific method.